Thursday, July 17, 2008

If Presidential candidates pandered to economists

Now, I'm pretty reserved with my political opinions. I'm not a zealot, nor do I consider myself incredibly educated on the candidates. But I just had to share this because to me, it makes a ton of sense:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/13/business/13view.php?page=1

Summary:
An economist polled his peers and came up with this list of stances on some big issues. there is some really good support for them in the article.

SUPPORT FREE TRADE
OPPOSE FARM SUBSIDIES
LEAVE OIL COMPANIES AND SPECULATORS ALONE
TAX THE USE OF ENERGY
RAISE THE RETIREMENT AGE
INVITE MORE SKILLED IMMIGRANTS
LIBERALIZE DRUG POLICY
RAISE FUNDS FOR ECONOMIC RESEARCH

The last one is just selfish on their part, but the rest seem like the best path to economic prosperity. they have little to do with environment or some other large issues that our nation faces, but simply demonstrate what needs to happen to make sure we continue as an economic world leader. The best way for us to be ready for painful changes moving towards sustainability is to have a stable economy. Or let the economy fall apart and our consumption falls with it. But that doesn't sound like nearly as much fun.

No comments: